Running Four VMWare Guests Simultaneously

I installed Red Hat 9.0 on my IBM ThinkBrink (I mean ThinkPad) a20p yesterday. It has 384 MB RAM and a 20 GB hard drive. I then installed a trial version of VMWare 4 for Linux. Next, I installed images of Windows NT 4, Red Hat 7.0, FreeBSD 4.3, and Solaris 7 x86. I gave each OS 32 MB RAM and between 1-3 GB hard drive space. I was able to run all four OS simultaneously without a real problem, although I didn't run X in Linux and FreeBSD. Solaris offers a GUI by default but I began a command line session instead. This arrangement makes a decent lab environment, although more RAM would help. It's nice being able to run old operating systems in such small amounts of memory!

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics