QEMU on FreeBSD, with Networking

Maybe you've heard of QEMU, an "open source processor emulator." It's not quite VMware, since there doesn't seem to be a concept of persistent state and there are definitely not snapshots. However, when I saw the variety of ready-to-run system images at OSZoo.org, I decided to try it on FreeBSD 6.0.

Luckily there are several QEMU ports. I installed emulators/qemu from the latest FreeBSD 6.0 package. I next installed emulators/kqemu-kmod using the port.

janney:/root# cd /usr/ports/emulators/kqemu-kmod
janney:/usr/ports/emulators/kqemu-kmod# make
=> kqemu-0.7.2.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/kqemu.
=> Attempting to fetch from http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/.
kqemu-0.7.2.tar.gz 100% of 77 kB 102 kBps
===> Extracting for kqemu-kmod-0.7.2_1
=> MD5 Checksum OK for kqemu/kqemu-0.7.2.tar.gz.
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for kqemu/kqemu-0.7.2.tar.gz.
===> Patching for kqemu-kmod-0.7.2_1
===> Applying FreeBSD patches for kqemu-kmod-0.7.2_1
===> Configuring for kqemu-kmod-0.7.2_1
===> Building for kqemu-kmod-0.7.2_1
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/ports/emulators/kqemu-kmod/work/kqemu
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I- -I. -I@
-I@/contrib/altq -I@/../include -I/usr/include -finline-limit=8000 -fno-common
-mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2
-ffreestanding -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -fformat-extensions -std=c99 -c kqemu-freebsd.c
ld -d -warn-common -r -d -o kqemu.kld kqemu-mod-i386.o kqemu-freebsd.o
touch export_syms
awk -f /sys/conf/kmod_syms.awk kqemu.kld export_syms | xargs -J% objcopy % kqemu.kld
ld -Bshareable -d -warn-common -o kqemu.ko kqemu.kld
objcopy --strip-debug kqemu.ko
janney:/usr/ports/emulators/kqemu-kmod# make install
===> Installing for kqemu-kmod-0.7.2_1
===> Generating temporary packing list
===> Checking if emulators/kqemu-kmod already installed
install -o root -g wheel -m 555 kqemu.ko /boot/kernel
kldxref /boot/kernel
if mount |/usr/bin/grep ^devfs >/dev/null ; then : ; else if [ ! -e /dev/kqemu ]; then mknod
/dev/kqemu c 250 0 ; fi ; /bin/chmod 666 /dev/kqemu ; fi
===> Registering installation for kqemu-kmod-0.7.2_1

Next I had to enable network connectivity. The host OS had xl0 as a live interface. QEMU would use the tap0 interface.

# cat /dev/null > /dev/tap0
# ifconfig tap0 create

# kldload bridge.ko
# sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=xl0,tap0
net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: -> xl0,tap0
# sysctl net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
net.link.ether.bridge.enable: 0 -> 1

I needed to create this small script to enable networking as well.

$ cat /etc/qemu-ifup
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig ${1} 0.0.0.0

Now I needed an image to run. I decided to use the NetBSD 2.0.2 x86 image, since it wasn't too large and I figured I would be familiar enough with NetBSD once it was running.

After downloading and extracting the image, I was ready to try running it.

# qemu -net nic -net tap netbsd_2.0.2.img

Here is the initial boot screen.



Now the system is booted.



The root login for this system image is "piripicchio" (it's Italian). Once logged in, I configured the ne2 interface with an IP address on the same segment as the host OS.



Next I added a default route, a nameserver, and a normal user account with a password.

# route add default 192.168.2.1
# echo "nameserver 192.168.2.1" > /etc/resolv.conf
# useradd -m richard
# passwd richard

Now I wanted to enable sshd. After trying to just start the daemon, I realized I needed to generate at least a DSA key as shown below.



With sshd listening, I could log in remotely.

$ ssh 192.168.2.77
The authenticity of host '192.168.2.77 (192.168.2.77)' can't be established.
DSA key fingerprint is 5d:7f:a2:08:b0:3f:f7:e2:45:35:79:60:45:50:09:5d.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.2.77' (DSA) to the list of known hosts.
richard@192.168.2.77's password:
NetBSD 2.0.2 (GENERIC) #0: Wed Mar 23 08:53:42 UTC 2005

Welcome to NetBSD!

Erase is backspace.
If one studies too zealously, one easily loses his pants.
-- A. Einstein.
: {1} uname -a
NetBSD 2.0.2 NetBSD 2.0.2 (GENERIC) #0: Wed Mar 23 08:53:42 UTC 2005
jmc@faith.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-2-RELEASE/i386/200503220140Z
-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-2-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC i386
: {2} df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/wd0a 846M 291M 513M 36% /
kernfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /kern

I think that is pretty cool for a free virtual machine. As I learn more about QEMU I will share it here.

I found these three posts to be helpful when getting QEMU working.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Xen seems to be more and more interesting these days, for purposes close to vmware and qemu.
I plan to try Xen when it ships with FreeBSD 6.1, probably in late April.
Apparently you can use Qemu to create VMware images, which can then be used in VMware Player. Check it out.
Anonymous said…
It is recommended to use the WITH_KQEMU option when compiling the qemu port itself, else the additional value of KQEMU isn't used. It speeds things up a lot.

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics