Upgrading to the New Java Patchset

Last month I described how I installed Java on my production server and laptop. Today my Portupgrade run showed that my JDK was out-of-date:

jdk-1.4.2p6_7 < needs updating (port has 1.4.2p7)

Sure enough, a visit to freshports.org/java/jdk14 showed a new patchset, number 7, was released at EyesBeyond.com. Prior to updating, here's how my Java version reported itself:

orr:/home/richard$ java -version
java version "1.4.2-p6"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
(build 1.4.2-p6-root_04_dec_2004_17_50)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
(build 1.4.2-p6-root_04_dec_2004_17_50, mixed mode)

I used Portupgrade to upgrade and build a package with the new Java patchset on the server and then made it available via NFS to my laptop. When I was done upgrading, here is what pkg_info and the Java client reported:

orr:/home/richard$ pkg_info | grep jdk
jdk-1.4.2p7 Java Development Kit 1.4.2
orr:/home/richard$ java -version
java version "1.4.2-p7"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
(build 1.4.2-p7-root_18_dec_2004_18_09)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
(build 1.4.2-p7-root_18_dec_2004_18_09, mixed mode)

If you're confused by the numbering scheme associated with these versions, this freebsd-java thread is helpful.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Newer versions of FreeBSD include "pkg_version" in the base system, which gives useful information about installed ports needing updates.

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics