I thought it would be interesting to see a box begin life as FreeBSD 5.2.1 RELEASE, and then progress through a variety of security fixes applied in different ways. The article's sections include:
- FreeBSD Versions
- Learning About Security Issues
- Starting with the Installation
- Binary OS and Userland Updates with FreeBSD Update
- Applying Kernel Patches Manually
- Applying Userland Patches Manually, Part 1
- Applying Userland Patches Manually, Part 2
- CVSup to 5_2 Security Branch
- Beyond the Security Branch
- STABLE: The End of the Line
- The "Next" STABLE
Sections show commands to run, explanations of what they do, sample output, uname versions, and pros and cons of each upgrade method. Please send feedback to taosecurity at gmail dot com.
I do not discussing optimizing the kernel, although this site does.