Saturday, October 11, 2003

Working as an Independent Contractor

While reading Network Computing, I found useful advice in the Career Coach column. If you want to be an independent contractor, how do you handle taxes, health insurance, and other services provided by traditional employers? NWC writer Lorna Garey suggests readers check the SOHO Resource Group, which was linked from Lorna writes:

"The SOHO Resource Group, for example, which partners with, will redirect your 1099 (self-employed/contractor) income into a personal Profit Center, converting the income to W-2 status.

SOHO offers access to conventional corporate benefits such as medical and dental insurance and a 401(k) plan. The fee--4 percent of the first $60K in annual income--may be well worth the price for the benefits and time and aggravation saved."

Several years ago I found the book From Serf to Surfer: Becoming a Network helpful. It's out of print, even though it's only three years old.

No comments: