Still Blogging

When I announced I would join General Electric as Director of Incident Response in June 2007, I had to post a follow-up titled I'm Not Dead. That issue even made it onto Bill Brenner's radar. Two years later I'm still at GE, glad that as of 1 January this year we have a functional and growing Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT) manned by the best incident handlers and support staff you'll find anywhere.

Sometimes work occupies time I would have previously spent blogging, reading, or writing. That's why you'll often see a flurry of blog posts when I have time on a weekend (or now, before a Company holiday). I've fallen far behind in my reading, and my writing is limited to articles. However, I will be collaborating with Keith Jones and team for Real Digital Forensics Volume 2, which should be cool. I don't have a schedule for other books beyond RDF2 at the moment.


Richard Bejtlich is teaching new classes in Las Vegas in 2009. Late Las Vegas registration ends 22 July.

Comments

Unknown said…
Nice logo. Is that your team's logo at GE ? Does 3/8 communicate the current threat level ?
Good guess, but not correct. Props to the first non-GE-CIRT person to post what 3/8 means... :)
Rocky DeStefano said…
My guess:

http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=3.0.0.0

OrgName: General Electric
NetRange: 3.0.0.0 - 3.255.255.255
CIDR: 3.0.0.0/8
NetName: GE-INTERNET
test said…
I like Rocky's answer, but for the sake of being different, I will posit that 3/8 represents Breach 3, Impact 8, probably a very common state on today's networks.

"Breach 3 / Impact 8 / Intruder has established command and control channel from asset with ready access to sensitive data"
secdz said…
3 x 8 = 24 H ... the non-stop team ? :)
John Ward said…
I think its because Rich is only 3/8 my height :)

Or maybe I don't even have 3/8 his security skills :)
Anonymous said…
Since you are still blogging. I have a request. How does one get started with Netflow with no funding?

I have a very large network 100k+ nodes and no funding for a netflow solution. However the Networking guys are willing to turn on netflow on the main internet firewalls if I can figure out what to do with it.

So could you write an article on how to get started with $0 for software and couple of big servers ready to crunch. With the main objective being to identify unknown or dodgy communications.

That would probably reach a few people on this blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics