Best Book Bejtlich Read in 2012

It's time to name the winner of the Best Book Bejtlich Read award for 2012!

I started seriously reading and reviewing digital security books in 2000. This is the 7th time I've formally announced a winner; see my bestbook label for previous winners.

I posted yesterday that 2012 was the year I changed what I read. For example, in 2011 I read and reviewed 22 technical books. In 2012, which a change in my interests, I only read and reviewed one technical book. Thankfully, it was a five star book, which means it is my BBBR 2012 winner!

As you might have figured out yesterday, this year's winner is SSH Mastery by Michael W Lucas. Feel free to read my Amazon.com review for details. Note that I bought a Kindle version from Amazon.com, and later MWL mailed me a print copy.

Besides the excellent style and content, one of the reasons I read the book was to experience MWL's first release of a self-published technical book. I think it was a successful endeavor, although I'm not prepared to try that route myself anytime soon.

If I were to name my favorite non-technical book I read in 2012, it would be For the President's Eyes Only: Secret Intelligence and the American Presidency from Washington to Bush by Christopher Andrew. I enjoyed learning more about American history through the eyes of the intel world, but I was shocked by how poorly most presidents understood and (mis)used intelligence.

I'm probably done reading and reviewing technical books, so I consider this to be the final BBBR post. I have over 100 possible (mainly nontechnical) books to read on my Kindle now (in Sample form), but I doubt I will review them when done.

Good luck reading in 2013!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics