Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Verisign -- "The Value of Trust"?

I can't believe the stunt Verisign is pulling now. The screen shot says it all. Essentially, all nonexistent domain names are resolving to, which itself resolves to sitefinder-idn.verisign.com. I learned about this issue through the NANOG (North American Network Operators Group), Slashdot, this article, and Verisign's "notification". The talk I've seen involves sitefinder.verisign.com, but that resolves to for me. I even queried an authoritative domain name server for (ns1.pnap.net, which handles the 94.64.in-addr.arpa domain). Some have said ISPs are already null-routing

I think this post makes a good case for review of Verisign's actions. This is not how an administrator for the two most important generic top level domains should act!