Every Software Vendor Must Read and Heed

Matt Olney and I spoke about the role of a Product Security Incident Response Team (PSIRT) at my SANS Incident Detection Summit this month. I asked if he would share his thoughts on how software vendors should handle vulnerability discovery in their software products.

I am really pleased to report that Matt wrote a thorough, public blog post titled Matt's Guide to Vendor Response. Every software vendor must read and heed this post. "Software vendor" includes any company that sells a product that runs software, whether it is a PC, mobile device, or a hardware platform executing firmware. Hmm, that includes just about everyone these days, except the little old ladies selling fabric at the hobby store.

Seriously, let's make 2010 the year of the PSIRT -- the year companies make dealing with vulnerabilities in their software an operational priority. I'm not talking about "building security in" -- that's been going on for a while. Until I can visit a variation of company.com/psirt, I'm not satisfied. For that matter, I'd like to see company.com/cirt as well, so outsiders can contact a company that might be inadvertently causing trouble for Internet users. (And yes, if you're wondering, we're working on both at my company!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics