Latest Book Arrives Soon

My third book, Extrusion Detection: Security Monitoring for Internal Intrusions, should appear on book shelves very soon. Addison-Wesley updated the publication date to reflect today (4 November 2005), a week earlier than the planned 11 November launch. I have not yet received a copy, and no preview chapters have been posted yet. I was assured that Chapter 4, Enterprise Network Instrumentation, would be made available in .pdf form at the publisher's Web site.

I looked at the Best Book Buys Top 100 List this evening and saw these results:







I don't understand these book rankings, which are listed "as of 28-Oct-2005". Here are the top 5 books:


  1. Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul by John Eldredge

  2. The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson

  3. Financial Accounting by Robert Libby

  4. The Game: Undercover In The Secret Society Of Pick-up Artists by Neil Strauss

  5. The World Is Flat: A Brief History Of The Twenty-first Century by Thomas L. Friedman


I could not imagine a more ecclectic groups of books! I guess having my three books in the rankings is better than not seeing them there. Incidentally, the list includes two other books to which I contributed; number 11 is Incident Response & Computer Forensics, 2nd Ed by Chris Prosise, Kevin Mandia, and number 18 is Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets and Solutions, 4th Ed by Stuart McClure, Joel Scambray, and George Kurtz.

I have ideas for another book which I plan to reveal soon. If anyone has feedback on any of my books or ideas for future work, please feel free to leave a comment or send me email. Thank you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I also pre-ordered my copy from Bookpool and should receive it soon. Will it shed some light on new Web attacks like Key Loggers, Search engine poisoning, Local Host file redirection and Web based Bot Controllers?

Congratulations Again!!!!!!!

Shahid
Hi Shahid,

I am not sure what there is to say about search engine poisoning or local host modifications. Those seem like fairly pedestrian attacks. Key loggers seem mildly more interesting. I am not sure what you mean by "Web based Bot Controllers," but I would like to hear more.

You might want to check out the table of contents at the publisher Web site. It describes everything I cover. Thank you for purchasing the book!
Anonymous said…
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. For all these new Web Attacks, please refer to this presentation from Toocon:

http://www.websensesecuritylabs.com/resource/PDF/toorcon_sep2005.pdf

This is an intersting presentation and I just wanted to ask if you covered these topics...

Anyways I am interested in many topics your book has to offer and it was always a must buy for me!!

Thanks,
Shahid
Shahid, thanks for the info! I just blogged that presentation.

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics