What is the Ultimate Security Solution?

I received an email asking certain questions about digital security. Since the author said I could post my reply in my Blog, here is an excerpt from his email:

"I have read of many ways that hackers obtain access. But, I am uncertain what is comprehensive protection. Clearly, there are firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware, IDS, IPS, and many other three letter acronym tools available. I have read of your use/support for Sguil. Do you feel that is the ultimate solution?

There are other tools out there like eEye Blink, Pivx Qwikfix, and Securecore type products. I like them, but am uncertain if they do an adequate job at providing security. And I really don't know which would be considered the best of these.

So, I appeal to you for your insight. Would really appreciate any feedback - here or on your blog."


This is an interesting question, because at least one reader of my recent Focus-IDS post thought I was a "detection-only" advocate. Since I believe protection eventually fails (I do believe that, and it's true), did I not also believe protection was worthless?

Chapter 1 of my book lays out my philosophy on security, and Chapter 2 explains how I believe Network Security Monitoring meets the needs of my security philosophy. Anton Chuvakin's recent Slashdot review summarizes some of my thoughts. I recommend anyone interested in knowing how I define terms like security, risk, vulnerability, threat, and so forth thumb through the first two chapters of my book in your local Borders or Barnes and Noble store.

Regarding "ultimate solutions," I don't believe there is such a concept. I agree with Dr. Mitch Kabay that "security is a process, not an end state," and with Bruce Schneier who says security is a process, not a product." On p. 4 of my book I define security as "the process of maintaining an acceptable level of perceived risk." No organization can be considered "secure" for any time beyond the last verification of adherence to its security policy.

How does one best adhere to one's security policy? I believe the answer lies in following the security process, which consists of assessment, protection (prevention), detection, and response. Chapter 11 of my book presents best practices for each as they relate to implementing NSM.

This means none of the products you mentioned (yes, even Sguil) can provide ultimate security. Even all of the best of breed products in the world deployed simultaneously cannot perfectly secure an organization. Focus on products ignores people and processes. All three elements must be brought to bear on the security problem.

I clearly believe that network awareness is one of the keys to security. "Situational awareness" was drilled into my brain as a cadet at the US Air Force Academy, and for good reason. When one is ignorant of one's surroundings, it is impossible to discern the defensive landscape as well as any threats. I advocate NSM as a means to get real threat intelligence. I avoid taking a vulnerability-focused approach to security where possible. Remember that one of the best ways to prevent intrusions is to help put criminals behind bars by collecting evidence and supporting the prosecution of offenders. The only way to ensure a specific Internet-based threat never bothers your organization is to separate him from his keyboard!

I recommend you and other others define your requirements before speaking to any vendor or researching any products. Decide what you believe is lacking in your security posture, and determine what combination of products, people, and processes could best meet your needs. Hire a professional security consultant to perform an assessment if you feel you lack the necessary expertise. Avoid consultants who run Nessus and drop a vulnerability report on your desk. Consult those who can offer solutions to problems or who can supervise the implementation of solutions by third parties. For your personal education you might find reading one or more of my recommended books helpful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics