Review of Security Warrior Posted

Amazon.com just published my five star review of Security Warrior. From the review:

"Security Warrior is a heavyweight contender. Peikari and Chuvakin offer a dark counterpart to O'Reilly classics like Practical UNIX and Internet Security (PUAIS) and Securing Windows NT/2000 Servers for the Internet. If you've been waiting for the next good security book from O'Reilly, "Security Warrior" (SW) is it.

Part I, "Software Cracking," was my favorite section. This material is largely not for beginners, which marked a welcome change from many competing books. Part I gave an introduction to assembly language, followed by reverse engineering exercises on Windows, Linux, and Windows CE. I admit a good portion of the section was beyond my skill level, but I was able to "patch" binaries to alter program flow and even use a buffer overflow to execute previously unreachable code in a sample program. These sorts of "hands-on" exercises were informative and enjoyable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics