Binary Patching with OpenBSD

I tried the Binpatch binary patching system for OpenBSD today on an OpenBSD 3.3 system. I downloaded each of the archives listed for my version and then architecture, and sequentially applied them starting with 001 and ending with 008. The binpatch author Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido told me I could avoid applying all of the kernel patches if I installed the newest one, but all of the userland patches needed to be applied. Since it was simple enough to install all of the eight archives, I tried that.

Essentially I downloaded all eight archives and applied each as follows. So, to apply the first set of patches:

wget http://www.openbsd.org.mx/pub/binpatch/3.3/i386/binpatch-3.3-i386-001.tgz
tar -xzvpf binpatch-3.3-i386-001.tgz -C /

Then I downloaded the second set and untarred them, and so on. When I was done I rebooted and found my system had a new kernel:

OpenBSD 3.3 (GENERIC) #3: Sat Oct 4 12:38:19 CDT 2003
santana@santana.openbsd.org.mx:/root/binpatch/work-binpatch-3.3/
src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC

Note my kernel was GENERIC to begin with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics